Thursday, April 18, 2013

Teamwork..WORKS !!!

Happy B'day Harish Veeramani, and thank you for reminding me the importance of taking responsibility.

I know its been a while since my last post but I am not gonna waste time talking about the reasons, I'd rather start blogging about something that I have been contemplating for a while now.

Workouts - If I googled the meaning of working out, I really dont know what it might tell me but my understanding of that word is pretty straight forward. Working out, according to me, is any activity that initially seems to challenge one physically but eventually all it is, is it liberates ones mind, frees it of all stress and makes one feel good about him/herself.

When I hear people say that they used to workout a lot couple of years back but couldn't sustain their efforts and stuff, it only irritates me cos all it is, is failing to understand the true essence of working out. When  I heard more and more of similar stories, I started to think why so many fail to sustain their efforts, the answer, was quiet obvious. It is rather tough to move past the initial "physically challenging" part and get to understand the real essence. No wonder !!!

This blog is the result of all the pondering over this fact and the initiative that followed.

Working out as a team.

With the fall of winter and the spring of beautifully bright and longer days, I took my first step towards spreading good health around the world and help people understand the true essence of working out. A fitness program of my own. Making the best use of the weather and investing just 40 minutes of ones time and literally nothing else, we started to challenge the so called physical limitations by helping and motivating each other as we began to workout as a team.

What we do - We gather everyother evening, at one of the many parks in the area, start off with some basic stretches and slowly start on some suicide(shuttle) runs. Once the body is nice and warmed up, we either focus on core strength or work on some endurance building workouts or do some weight training.

But whatever we did, we always wrapped up our sessions with either a set of hops or frog jumps around the park or swings through monkey bar, somersaults  etc and just liberate the little child in each of us. This clears the mind of all stress, depressions and rejuvanates the soul. Sounds crazy, it should.

But wait, think for second, these are the very things that we enjoyed doing as kids. We enjoyed them so much that we would do them all day if we could. We never cared what we ate or had any guilt, never knew what fat meant, never felt lazy never tired and never down or depressed.  So  why not do the same now.

Unless we worked out as a group, no one would ever imagine frog jumping in a open park all alone. As you see one person in the group do something, you wanna do that too. Be it pushing yourself through one more rep of suicide runs or trying to suspend yourself upside down on those monkey bars. There are just no limits to the fun. And I dont mind being the first guy to do them :).

These are some of the great perks of working out as a team and each one has to be there to feel what I am talking about. To see people gathering before time and hearing them say that they look forward to the next sessions it is so obvious that everyone enjoys being there and working out as a team.

Now we are 15, we will be 20 soon and I can assure you we will be in the hundreds and even thousands in no time. Where ever you are start forming a team of your own and feel the bliss of working out as a team.

"Teamwork really really really WORKS"

If you wanna join our Fraternity in Plano TX, email me at runwithbrihu@gmail.com and we will be glad to have you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment